Friday, February 23, 2018

Did you know about Antenatal Depression?

When I was first pregnant, I didn't know what to do. So gradually I lost interest in things I usually enjoyed. My belly got bigger and I got more down, anxious and depressed. I had all these feelings but I felt alone with no support system since I moved 5 hours away from home and didn't feel fully accepted to my fiancée family. I locked myself away and just counted down the days until I gave birth to my baby girl.  If I was depressed or just upset something didn't go my way, it would may days to come unbearable or not as good as I hoped. This would last for days to weeks and my fiancée
was the sweetest and patient but I still pushed him away unknowing what I was going through.

I wish I knew I had Antenatal Depression, this is more uncommon than expected. You hear more about postpartum depression than antenatal depression due to many women don't bring it up to their health professional or feel ashamed of feeling a certain way and then it goes untreated.

Depression isn't something you can easily snap out of.  It's getting more and more common now and people are unaware  how to treat it with alternative methods. There are ways and you just have to figure out what works best for you. Not all women who are pregnant are happy, that is  misconception that people have yet to understand that it is not always a happy go lucky during the pregnancy.

There are so many symptoms for this and women are unaware that they have it because it's not discussed during pregnancy. Different articles give different symptoms but they are all the same or are similar. Be known you shouldn't be ashame to tell people how you feel because you should know you are not alone.

Second Haven is a place for women and/or parents who could come and ask for things for their children but I also want it to be a place where mothers could come and build a network. This way women don't feel ashamed and have either 1 or 10 people to talk to. Let Second Haven take the weight off you shoulders and relieve bit of stress that comes with being pregnant, raising a child or even building a future.

If you like take a look at my previous posts:

What is Second Haven?

House vs. Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment